Raise Resilient Minds: How to Help Your Kids Self Regulate & Form Better Habits - Dr. Caroline Leaf : 1078
Manage episode 373919448 series 3007702
Today, we’re joined by second-time guest, Dr. Caroline Leaf, to talk about helping kids clean up their mental mess and be more resilient—all based on research from her latest book, How to Help Your Child Clean Up Their Mental Mess. In this episode, Dr. Caroline Leaf shares the best ways for parents to help their kids understand their emotions and build better habits.
Dr. Leaf conducts ongoing research and clinical trials in the field of psychoneurobiology in order to improve mental health interventions, many of which she summarizes in this far reaching, informative conversation.
We explore the impact of social media on kids’ anxiety, what parents can do to minimize the mental mess social media can make, and even how to rewire neural patterns it forms. We also dive into the myths of habit formation and how we can break down old habits to form better, new ones.
Dr. Leaf’s expertise doesn't stop there. She also gives a comprehensive explanation of the five steps of the Neurocycle, a tool set for self-regulation and changing your internal programming.
00:01:32 — The Dangers of Social Media & Minimizing Mental Messes
• Giving coffee to kids
• Danger Coffee: dangercoffee.com
• The mental health crisis kids are facing today
• Social media’s role in anxiety in kids
• What is a mental mess?
• Read: Cleaning Up Your Mental Mess
• Avoiding a mental mess while using social media
• How to teach kids to go deep on topics they’re interested in
• The science behind how long it takes to build or change a habit
00:27:31 — Habit Hacking 101
• The 5 Steps Neurocycle to rebuild neural networks
• The myth of building habits in 21 days
• Identifying patterns in habit formation for transforming and healing the brain
• How the history of habit formation and brain neuroplasticity has evolved over time
• The new standard of care and giving hopeful diagnoses
• Empowering ourselves to be the driver of our own health
00:54:37 — Helping Kids Build Resilience
• Curiosity as a tool for building resilience in kids
• The importance of learning how to self-regulate
• How modeling the Neurocycle can help parents and children manage emotions
• Why you should double down on what makes you weird
• Teaching kids to question everything to filter out what’s real
• Removing bias by connecting with others who aren't your age
• Helping kids get good sleep
Dave Asprey’s NEW Book ‘Smarter Not Harder’ is out now: https://daveasprey.com/books
Facebook: Dr. Caroline Leaf
YouTube: Dr. Caroline Leaf
Podcast: CLEANING UP YOUR MENTAL MESS
The Human Upgrade is produced by Crate Media.