TMHS 691: The Shocking Truth About U.S. Psychiatry, Addiction, & True Mental Wellness - With Dr. Joseph Yi
Manage episode 364766698 series 60566
Millions of Americans are affected by mental health issues every year. Conditions like depression and generalized anxiety can severely impact relationships, finances, health, and so much more. And when it comes to effectiveness and true healing, our standard conventional treatments leave much to be desired. On today’s show, you’re going to learn about alternative and holistic treatments for mental health.
On this episode of The Model Health Show, Board Certified Addiction Psychiatrist Dr. Joseph Yi is joining us to share his expertise in holistic psychiatry. We’re going to discuss alternative therapies for mental health treatment, the state of the US healthcare system, and basic pillars of mental health that we should all aim to achieve. We’re covering a wide variety of topics, including how the pharmaceutical industry influences medical doctors, how ketamine therapy impacts the brain, and the powerful impact technology has on our mental health.
We’re also having important conversations about the overwhelming dogmatic messages in the wellness space, how conventional treatments can override your body’s important signals, and so much more. Dr. Yi possesses a wealth of information on the topic of mental health treatments, and I think you’re going to appreciate his perspective. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What the leading cause of absenteeism in the workplace is.
- Dr. Yi’s journey to becoming a psychiatrist.
- The prevalence of nutrition classes in US medical schools.
- What Dr. Yi learned from his patients about tapering off medications.
- How we can make our healthcare system centered around health.
- The connection between social media and suicide rates.
- Three ways that technology influences addiction.
- How concentration rates of marijuana have increased over the past few decades.
- An important conversation on dogmatic diets.
- What it means to be socially malnourished.
- How Dr. Yi quit his longtime nicotine habit.
- What ayahuasca is and how it works.
- How drug reps influence doctors.
- The role of pharmaceutical drugs in mental health.
- Four basic pillars of mental wellness.
- Your dopamine reward center’s evil twin.
- How ketamine therapy works.
- Why reading and weight training are powerful mental health tools.
- The difference between addiction and dependency.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- DrinkLMNT.com/model -- Get a FREE sample pack with any order!
- Organifi.com/Model -- Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off + free shipping!
- Disease-Proof Your Child by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- APA Handbook of Psychopharmacology
- The Social Dilemma on Netflix
- Beyond Recovery
- Connect with Dr. Joseph Yi Website / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: