Manage episode 375443922 series 2890174
Your reputation in the law is important to your future success. We are sharing seven considerations for you when thinking about the type of reputation you are looking to build.
- Establish your expertise.
- As a new attorney it is your job to learn your chosen practice. You are not going to be an expert in those early years but that is okay. As you learn others around you will notice your dedication and diligence. This will help you build that reputation for expertise as to expand your knowledge.
- Maintain professionalism.
- Professionalism is vital to your reputation and that applies to anyone you interact with professionally. Most attorneys interact with some of the same people on a regular basis so keep that in mind. Examples include being punctual and respectful of others' time. Be courteous and do not talk down to others. People pay attention to how you treat them, as well as those around you so consider this as you decide how you want to present yourself and interact with others.
- Demonstrate your work ethic.
- Be responsive to inquiries. Return phone calls and emails promptly. Be consistent in your work so that clients and colleagues know that you are dependable.
- Practice your communication skills.
- Consider ways to highlight your stronger skills but do not be shy to work on those skills that you are not as comfortable with to become a well rounded professional.
- Networking is one of the best ways to build a strong legal career and it is absolutely tied in with your professional reputation.
- Engage with your local community.
- Many attorneys are well known for their civic engagement. What kind of work, committee or organization can you join and devote time to? A natural place to look is something that fits within your practice area.
- Create and maintain your online presence.
- Craft a thoughtful bio for your firm’s website. You can then use this bio to create an engaging profile for LinkedIn. LinkedIn can be a great place to hone your professional reputation to a wider audience.
A strong professional reputation takes time and effort. But with a thoughtful plan and a commitment to excellence your reputation will help you achieve your goals.
LWL Design Shop on Etsy use code LWLPOD for 15% off your purchase
Nothing contained within this podcast is intended or should be construed to be legal advice and does not create any attorney client relationship. Your jurisdiction will have rules of professional conduct that you must follow. This discussion does not focus on the any such rules, including the rules from the jurisdiction where we practice.