Manage episode 297660757 series 2919234
We're still diving into the musicals of Rodgers & Hammerstein - and today's episode is a good one... We're talking about The Sound of Music! Join us for this chat about both the 1959 stage version and the iconic 1965 film staring the incomparable Julie Andrews.
We talk about:
- How the “marriage trope” (symbolic differences reconciled in the courtship & marriage of two main characters) intersects a political story about fascism and resistance
- Maria von Trapp as both a redemptive figure and a prototypical “good German”
- The theology of “Something Good,” and Catholic versus Protestant understandings of love and human worthiness
- Laura Benanti and Christian Boyle singing “No Way To Stop It” and “How Can Love Survive” from the 2013 NBC Soundtrack Recording
- Julie Andrews singing “I Have Confidence” and “Something Good” from the 1965 film soundtrack
- Peggy Wood singing “Climb Every Mountain” from the 1965 film.