EIC 037: Staying Engaged and Active Post-Election
Manage episode 276987921 series 2595762
Hi friends, today's episode is a short one due to the craziness of the U.S. election! Here's how we can stay active and maintain momentum even as the news of the election comes and goes:
1. Learn who your representatives are at every level! At the city, county, state, and national levels there are representatives who are meant to speak on your behalf as a constituent directly (city council person, county commissioner, state senator, state assemblyperson, congressperson, U.S. senator). Learn who they are so you can hold them accountable to speak on your behalf for issues that affect you & your community.
2. Keep in touch with the news, at least know what is going on. While doing so, try not to watch news that skew so much to one side as you want to be able to not only trust what you're being told, but you still want to be able to research and verify the information yourself. Even as a progressive, I won't really pay attention to super progressive leaning news sites. This also helps me in being able to present facts when talking to someone who may be sharing propaganda.
3. Get involved locally! There are so many organizations (both political and issue-based) that are working to fix some of the injustices and inequities in our communities, so pick one and do what you can to be involved. Sure, you can always donate, but many of us may not be in a place to do so, so let's try and volunteer however we can.
Mentioned on this week's episode:
Thanks for listening! Keep in touch:
- Share the show and tag us on Instagram: @empoweredincolor
- Tweet at us on Twitter: @empoweredpoc
- Kriselle's personal socials: Instagram, Twitter
- When you post about your successes and stories, use the hashtag #WhenPOCThrive
- Subscribe on iTunes, Google Podcasts, or Spotify. Leave a review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts to help us reach more people!