Manage episode 304138417 series 2358764
With KubeCon North America 2021 looming, Chris and Martin spend this week looking at data protection for Kubernetes-native environments. Vendors have started to introduce backup solutions, some working within the container environment itself, some outside as part of existing products. Exactly what should be backed up and how should these products work? Are we right to continue using snapshots or is there a better way? Do these solutions capture and retain enough metadata to provide for efficient data recovery? Lots of questions to ask and be answered in this show.
Elapsed Time: 00:39:00
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:10 – Is it Koober-con or Cube-con?
- 00:03:00 – What is “cloud-native” data protection?
- 00:04:30 – Is it better to build backup for containers, in containers?00:05:45 – What components should we protect?
- 00:07:15 – Virtualisation is a good analogy of how container backup should work
- 00:08:45 – Do not customise your containers! Remember Frank!
- 00:10:55 – Why have we reverted to using snapshots again?
- 00:14:30 – Metadata is critical to ensuring good backup/restore
- 00:16:00 – Hands up – who’s got a server called Gandalf?
- 00:18:30 – GUID volume names are useless without metadata
- 00:20:05 – What are the cloud vendors doing for managed backup?
- 00:23:00 – Is it better to ignore cloud-native backup for containers?
- 00:23:40 – Should data protection be a Day 2 requirement?
- 00:27:30 – Is CSI at the right level of maturity or is there more to come?
- 00:29:45 – What degree of data portability is required?
- 00:31:45 – ARM to x86 – is this a future requirement?
- 00:33:00 – Backup is regularly used to seed development
- 00:36:15 – Will Martin be watching Kubecon?
- 00:38:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- HYCU Introduces Protege Data Protection for Kubernetes
- What is the Container Storage Interface (CSI)?
- Should I Be Backing Up Containers?
- Building Data Storage With Containers
- #200 – Virtualisation, Containers, Serverless and Data
- #129 – Choices for Persistent Container Storage With Niraj Tolia
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #06yu.