Manage episode 298824890 series 2469648
This week the team is back after a short break and ready to talk all things cloud – or at least about Elastic Block Store. AWS recently announced io2 and io2 Block Express, the first new EBS block storage offerings for eight years. With such a long gap since io1 was first released, what has AWS been up to and what’s new? In this discussion, Martin and Chris question whether AWS is aiming to meet the requirements of enterprise customers that simply want to lift and shift their infrastructure into the cloud. Alternatively, the effort involved in rolling out a new distributed storage platform is significant, so this could be all about time and effort.
Elapsed Time: 00:41:28
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:15 – Is storage done or has there been a COVID slowdown?
- 00:03:05 – Is AWS running a secret SAN?
- 00:04:30 – What is EBS – Elastic Block Store?
- 00:07:30 – AWS finally offering five 9’s on EBS
- 00:08:20 – io2 and io2 Block Express add new availability & performance
- 00:09:40 – Latency is a hard storage attribute to manage
- 00:13:00 – How has EC2 evolved in capability?
- 00:14:20 – Was AWS caught out with block storage demands?
- 00:16:25 – Nitro is a big driver in new io2 storage (we think)
- 00:19:00 – How would AWS refresh the storage infrastructure?
- 00:21:45 – Could you “triage out” slow EBS volumes?
- 00:23:25 – What if a DR location runs slower than primary?
- 00:27:00 – Does Nitro indicate the direction for enterprise storage?
- 00:31:00 – There’s no (customer) synchronous replication in cloud
- 00:32:00 – What comes after EC2/EBS?
- 00:34:50 – Protocol wars could be the next battleground for storage!
- 00:35:40 – Does refresh (and storage refresh) matter in the cloud?
- 00:39:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Disaggregated Storage Part II with Zivan Ori from E8 Storage
- AWS is not building Hybrid Cloud (as we know it)
- AWS Outposts – A Cuckoo in the Enterprise Nest?
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #t90n.