Manage episode 338280740 series 1952266
A Linux jailbreak that's a win for Right to Repair, our favorite things in Android 13, and the major features that just missed the Linux 6.0 window.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Kolide: User-centered, cross-platform endpoint security for teams that Slack.
- Android 13 is in AOSP — Today we’re pushing the Android 13 source to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and officially releasing the newest version of Android.
- Android 13 Sources Released To AOSP
- Glibc 2.36 Dropping DT_HASH Has Been Breaking Easy Anti Cheat Games — The breakage stems from the DT_HASH section being dropped in GNU C Library but EAC being among the few software still expecting that section rather than DT_GNU_HASH.
- Pierre-Loup Griffais on Twitter — Unfortunate that upstream glibc discussion on DT_HASH isn't coming out strongly in favor of prioritizing compatibility with pre-existing applications. Every such instance contributes to damaging the idea of desktop Linux as a viable target for third-party developers.
- Carlos O’Donell on Twitter — How far should Linux ELF follow the generic ELF standard (gABI)? We recently let distributions drop DT_HASH from glibc builds (mandatory under the gABI). This broke EPIC's Easy Anti-Cheat. We *should* ask the gABI for DT_HASH to be optional.
- GLIBC update broke EAC for most games that use it — Issue #6051 · ValveSoftware/Proton
- Should we make DT_HASH dynamic section for glibc?
- gapi discussion: Making DT_HASH optional?
- Linux 6.0 debuts, missing some Rusty bits — Emperor Penguin Linus Torvalds has released the first release candidate for Linux 6.0, but doesn't mind what you call it.
- Linux 6.0 arrives with performance improvements and more Rust coming
- Linux 6.0-rc1 Released With Exciting Performance Optimizations
- Real-Time “PREEMPT_RT” Not in 6.0-rc1 — Of the 50 patches, it's not too bad either as there are five patches for example that are rather trivial for just enabling real-time (RT) support in the Kconfig files for ARM / ARM64 / POWER / x86 / x86_64. There are also a handful of patches each specific to POWER and the i915 graphics driver code.
- Debian turns 29! — Today is Debian's 29th anniversary. We recently wrote about some ideas to celebrate DebianDay, and several events have been planned in more than 14 locations.
- LocalGroups - Debian Wiki
- A New Jailbreak for John Deere Tractors Rides the Right-to-Repair Wave — An exploit that provides root access to two popular models of the company’s farm equipment.
- mu on Twitter — Sick Codes has jailbroken a John Deere, and this is just the beginning. Turns out our entire food system is built on outdated, unpatched Linux and Windows CE hardware with LTE modems.
- How a version of Doom running on a John Deere tractor champions the right-to-repair movement — Sick Codes achieved this by working with different tractor control touchscreen consoles, narrowing it down to a select few models, and finding a way to exploit these devices.
- Right to repair movement goes Deere hunting
- The debate over right to repair in 2022 | Successful Farming
- Deere Hit with Class Action Lawsuit Over Right to Repair
- Late Night Linux – Episode 190