Manage episode 295132617 series 2496530
Dan speaks to coaches Mike Pope and Rhys Williams about how they've used what they've learned from reading Doug Lemov's book: A Coach's Guide to Teaching.
Here are some of Doug's thoughts after listening to the podcast (more notes on the Rugby Coach Weekly website):
- Until it comes unprompted when we aren’t reminded to think about it, we probably haven’t learned it.
- “Interleaving is always with something you’ve already talked about.” Hugely important clarification for coaches that I hadn’t thought to make… though I will now.
Here are the key areas Dan, Rhys and Mike discussed:
- Rhys's six week plans: how they work in the context of what he took from the book
- Using feedback more effectively: examples, scenarios and maintaining flow in the session. Plus shortening the feedback loop
- How interleaving makes learning stick
- How the Forgetting Curve works for rugby players
- Tough feedback which creates pressure
- Desirable difficulty in training
Rhys is a youth rugby coach, plus works with Saracens DPP.
Mike is a school's head of rugby , senior mens coach, plus a lead coach with Bath DPP.