#445: "New Creation" by Mac Powell
Manage episode 346939354 series 2391880
The original creation had a purpose that was marred and derailed by sin. Scripture teaches in Christ, we are a new creation. Mac Powell sings of it in his song, "New Creation." It's the perfect song to launch into God's Word to learn all we can about what it means to be a new creation.
Did you know there are only two places in the New Testament where the exact phrase "new creation" is used? I'm going to pick one and dive deep. Join me!
In this week's episode, I discuss the following:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture - this week's Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Read the text aloud
- Make a list
- Define words
- Compare and contrast
- How the song is linked to "Soul On Fire" by Third Day - Episode 55
- Our inspiration verse - 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Slowing down to read the text in context and asking God to help me see what He wanted me to see
- Seeing links to what we've studied in previous weeks
- Pleasing God - 1 Corinthians 5:9 - Episode 444
- New creation (i.e., new heavens and new earth) - 1 Corinthians 5:17 - Episode 443
- Compare and contrast items
- dead vs. alive
- regarding others according to the flesh vs. not regarding others according to the flesh
- old creation vs. new creation
- How God created something out of nothing in the original creation - GotQuestions.org Article on ex nihilo
- The ministry, message, and role we have as new creations in Christ - 2 Corinthians 5:14-6:2
- God as the initiator of reconciliation - The Message of 2 Corinthians by Paul Barnett - Amazon Paid Link
- How we are invited into the cooperative group effort of reconciliation
God’s heart is for the world to be reconciled to Him. His plan is to make that appeal through me.
More Than a Song Playlist Additional Resources
- Lyrics - NewReleaseToday.com
- The story behind the song "New Creation" by Mac Powell - KLove.com Article
- "I'm a New Creation in Christ...What is That?" - The Gospel Coalition Article
- My new favorite Bible Study Software - Logos Bible Software
Read Paul's second letter to the Corinthians. At least read chapters 4-6 before taking a closer look at verses 14-21 of chapter five and the following few verses of chapter six. Consider what it is to be a new creation in light of what you know about the first creation. Interact with the text by making lists and defining words as you ponder the meaning of reconciliation and your ministry, message, and title from being reconciled to God.