Manage episode 314737485 series 3234219
Why the U.S. is closing in on both a debt default and a government shutdown.
Topics covered include:
- How a government shutdown differs from a debt ceiling crisis
- Why hasn't Congress passed legislation to fund the government and raise the debt limit
- How refusing to increase the debt ceiling could impact Social Security
- How big is the national debt and who owns it
- Why we never know how much federal debt is too much: Japan vs the U.S.
- How federal debt is used and how it has led to financial innovation
- Why countries default on their debt
- What are some of the challenges with central banks pegging interest rates and monetizing the debt
- What could cause the U.S. dollar to crash and inflation to soar
For more information on this episode click here.