326: HOME BIRTH STORY - Navigating Challenges of Switching to a Home Birth at 25 Weeks with Porshe Turner
Manage episode 290956500 series 2394616
Where do you feel most safe to give birth?
Ultimately, that’s one of, if not the most important question to consider when it comes to your birth plan.
When it came down to it, home was the answer for today’s guest, Porshe Turner.
This was Porshe’s third pregnancy. Influenced by COVID-19 and circumstances related to it, Porshe and her husband Jeremy switched to a home birth plan at 25 weeks pregnant. They kept their plans quiet, like many others we’ve spoken to on the podcast (some prefer to keep home birth plans to themselves as a personal preference whether that is to avoid unwanted feedback from others or just desiring a more private experience).
Her previous births were in the hospital: a cesarean breech and a VBAC. One of her concerns going into this third birth was what it would be like to go into labor on her own without any medical intervention.
One interesting element of Porshe’s birth experience is that she went to the hospital during labor when her blood pressure rose, and was eventually able to leave the hospital and return home to have her birth.
"This pregnancy was the only one we planned and we just so happened to plan it at the precipice of a pandemic, which has turned out to be a blessing but also brought about a lot of difficult challenges to navigate. It did push us to evaluate where I felt safest to birth and that aligned best with home."
Things we talk about in this episode: cesarean birth, breech birth, VBAC, birth blessing, TENS unit, hospital transfer, other resources that helped prepare
- January Harshe Birth Without Fear: https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Without-Fear-Judgment-Free-Postpartum/dp/0316515612
- The Birth Hour: https://thebirthhour.com/
- Birth Kweens: https://www.birthkweens.com/
- Badassmotherbirther: https://www.instagram.com/badassmotherbirther
- Wine About Birth: https://www.wineaboutbirth.com/
- Our website: https://www.diahpodcast.com/
- Facebook Group: https://bit.ly/3jKtIYv
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/diahpodcast/
- Donate to DIAH: https://bit.ly/3qgm4r9
- DIAH Shop: ttps://bit.ly/3qhwgAe