Manage episode 289922240 series 2639148
When can you change care providers/plans?
Answer: any time you want.
This comes up frequently on the podcast. As long as it’s an important and relevant part of the pregnancy and birth experience (which it will always be), we will keep addressing this theme. Because for one thing: many do not know or realize that they are actually allowed to change care providers, whenever and for whatever reason. And there are others who might be aware of this, but are hesitant or afraid to.
Today’s guest, Sarah Schlichter shares her journey of shifting from a planned hospital birth with midwives to a home birth with midwives, at 36 weeks pregnant.
Sarah had a cesarean birth with her first child Camryn. She fell into what she referred to as “the traditional way of thinking”...aka you go to the hospital and have a baby. Her first birth left her with some feelings of trauma and disappointment.
When it came to her second pregnancy, taking a course in the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth was a turning point. Finally around 36 weeks, Sarah’s husband Ed asked, “why don’t we just have the baby at home?”
In this episode we talk about: hospital cesarean birth, switching care, HBAC, dual care, faith vs. fear, GBS positive, and a bunch of helpful resources (links in description below!)
Hannah’s birth is a day I will forever remember, and was perhaps the coolest thing I’ve ever done just because of the circumstances of her birth. I never thought I’d do a homebirth, but I wanted a supportive atmosphere for my TOLAC/VBAC and everything worked out like it was supposed to. At 36 weeks pregnant, I switched care providers. Yes – very late in the game! Ed and I had taken a Bradley Birth Class virtually and resonated with so many of the principles and beliefs of the Bradley Method. We truly wanted this birth to be as “natural” as possible. And while it is completely possible to have a natural birth in a hospital setting, I knew it would raise the stakes and make things more difficult for me Based on my prior C Section.
- Sarah’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bucketlisttummy_rd/
- Sarah’s website: https://www.bucketlisttummy.com/
- Give Birth a Chance: https://www.amazon.com/Give-Birth-Chance-Prepare-Empowered/dp/1683505190#:~:text=Give%20Birth%20a%20Chance%20is%20a%20must%20read%20for%20anyone,informed%20about%20the%20birthing%20process.
- Business of Being Born: https://www.thebusinessof.life/
- ICAN: https://www.ican-online.org/find-a-chapter-2/
- Spinning Babies: https://www.spinningbabies.com/
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth: https://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156
- Bradley Method: http://www.bradleybirth.com/
- Riverside Midwifery: https://riversidemidwifery.com/
- Our website: https://www.diahpodcast.com/
- Facebook Group: https://bit.ly/3jKtIYv
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/diahpodcast/
- Donate to DIAH: https://bit.ly/3qgm4r9
- DIAH Shop: ttps://bit.ly/3qhwgAe