007 Forrest Norvell on ES6 and our community's role at JSConf 2014
Manage episode 41572582 series 35645
بواسطة Jeff Barczewski، اكتشفه Player FM ومجتمعنا ـ حقوق الطبع والنشر مملوكة للناشر وليس لـPlayer FM، والصوت يبث مباشرة من خوادمه. اضغط زر الاشتراك لمتابعة التحديثات في Player FM، أو ألصق رابط التغذية الراجعة في أي تطبيق بودكاست آخر.
- Episode: CW 007
- Published: June 24th, 2014
- Tags: nodejs, js,es6,jsconf
- Duration: 38:33
- 01:36 - Forrest explains his new position at npm Inc.
- 02:20 - Discussion of Forrest’s JSConf 2014 talk
- 03:30 - Rise of community standards, Douglas Crockford’s the Good Parts, John Resig jQuery, Promises A+ standard
- 05:50 - Standards committees, an inside look
- 08:00 - ES4, ES5, Harmony, ES7 (champion for each feature)
- 10:00 - test262 - conformance test suite
- 11:58 - Our community has the power to figure out what features in ES6 are useful. Sort out the parts that are genuinely useful. Figure out the good parts now.
- 14:48 - Module proposal benefited from critical discussions from the community
- 16:00 - Tools for using ES6 features now
- 17:26 - Development community needs to get on top of things and teach how we use the features with emphasis on the compelling parts.
- 20:55 - Don’t concentrate on what’s cool, but concentrate on what’s stable and effective. As an educator be conservative.
- 21:29 - Warnings from Java, Perl history
- 24:00 - Typescript and Coffeescript bring things to the table but they could fragment the community
- 24:40 - ES timeline
- 26:30 - Features need enough examination to ensure they are finished
- 28:00 - Keeping some things in user land to see what community comes up with. Developers as leaders in this transition.
- 29:00 - npm growth, npm Inc dev ops, addressing pain points in npm CLI
- 34:30 - All software languages have something that is terrible. Community is something that makes Node.js special.
- 35:45 - Node.js in the enterprise is happening very rapidly. A very interesting time to be in the middle of this evolution.
- Forrest Norvell, npm product maker at npm Inc. twitter
- ES6 compatibility table - ES6 compatibility table, comparing browser versions, Node.js. Links to ES6 feature descriptions.
- Spider Monkey - Firefox JS engine written in C++. Currently Spider Monkey is leading in the number of ES6 features that are implemented. (56/66 according to Kangax)
- Jeff Barczewski, Founder, CodeWinds twitter
- CodeWinds twitter