Manage episode 330924395 series 3342399
How do we even define Asian American and which ethnicities does it encompass? And what's the context that brought the first Asians to Austin? In this episode, we learn all that plus more about Dr. Eric Tang's own relationship to his Asian American identity, being a racialized subject and W.E.B. DuBois' Double Consciousness, and what the future holds for the Asian community in Austin with our special guest, Dr. Eric Tang, the Associate Professor of African and African Diaspora Studies and Director of the Center for Asian American Studies.
Referenced Materials from the Episode:
- Dr. Eric Tang's Book "Unsettled: Cambodian Refugees in the NYC Hyperghetto"
- W.E.B. Du Bois' Double Consciousness
- Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong
- City of Austin's Master Plan of 1928
- Sing Family - Austin Revealed: Pioneers from the East