Manage episode 325176716 series 1080637
Our God is a God of abundance. But while we are looking around thinking an abundant life has to do more with material blessings and a lack of conflict, God has a better idea. Andrew Ripp's song "Fill My Cup" inspired me to discover what God wants to fill us with, as revealed by His holy Word.
Join me as we meditate on a couple of psalms and then diligently seek out what Scripture describes as a cup running over.
In this week's episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture - this week's Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Meditate on Scripture
- Explore a topic
- Make a list
- Compare and contrast
- Psalm 23 because of the phrase "my cup overflows" as inspired by our song - Psalm 23:5-6
- Debbie Devries podcast on Psalm 23:5-6 - Debbie Devries Ministry Podcast Episode 30 - "Dinner"
- How the table of a host was a place of provision and protection
- Psalm 16 because of the phrase "the Lord is my chosen portion and my cup" - Psalm 16:5-6
- Discovering that God is our cup and He is also what He fills us with
- Where the table of Psalm 23 is represented in our lives today - John 14:23
- Our feature verse - Romans 15:13
- Using the Greek word for "fill" found in our feature verse to discover every other time it was translated "fill" in the New Testament and what the context teaches us - BibleHub.com listing of every mention of pléroó
- The beatitude that teaches about being filled with righteousness - Matthew 5:6
- The contrast of what it looks like to be filled with unrighteousness - Romans 1
- Learning that Christ is our righteousness - 1 Corinthians 1:30
- Jesus' encouragement that our thirst for Him will lead to an overflow of the Holy Spirit in our lives - John 7:37-38
- Discovering that Christ does the filling - Ephesians 1:23
- Uncovering that we are filled with all the fullness of God when we comprehend the love of Christ - Ephesians 3:19
- Concluding that God IS our cup, and God fills our cup with Himself to overflowing
A cup that runs over cannot hold all that is being poured into it.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics - NewReleaseToday.com
- Story Behind the Song "Fill My Cup" by Andrew Ripp - JubilieeCast.com Article
- What does it mean that my cup runneth over? - GotQuestions.org Article
Read Psalm 23 and Psalm 16. Meditate on these two psalms and the idea that God is both our cup and the One who fills it to overflowing. Then take the challenge to look up verses talking about things and people being "filled" and discover what God's Word says about it. What you learn may change your perspective forever. You can do it!